Friday, October 12, 2012

It's more fun in the Philippines - MRT

Public transportation in the Philippines is a mess. If I'm not mistaken, I've read an article that says how unfriendly the means are for tourists. Lands separated by seas, bumpy roads, unmonitored (CCTV) airports, great mass of people commuting.

One transportation mean I am very much unlikely to get in is the MRT. It's the metro rail along EDSA, Philippines' one of the busiest highway.

Though there are buses travelling along the highway, MRT provides faster displacement; thanks to the city buses picking up and unloading passengers in any point of the road, traffic jams and travel time increases.

Since my work requires me to take the EDSA, I tried experimenting. Monday, I took a cab, took me around 15 mins to cover around 3 km distance. Tuesday and Wednesday, tried the buses, goodness' grace! took me 20-30 mins to cover the same strip. Thurs I tried the MRT, the well-known MRT, 10 mins (including the time exiting the gate).

I never considered taking the MRT to work before, until now that I have no choice.

This morning, I bought my first Stored Value ticket, a hundred-peso multi-entry ticket that will save you time from queueing up to buy your single journey ones. This is it. I have to deal with the experience.

I was wearing a white shirt. Entered the gate. Waited for the train in the designated area, door marks on the floor. People piling up. The train came in. People clustered. Elbows, knees, shoulders, feet bumping and stepping on others'. I moved back. People pushing others into the coaches; people alighting, it's harder for them. The door warned, everyone still trying to get in. Door closing, people started to move back.

Together with the individuals who didn't go with the first train, I've waited for the next. Same scenario, but this time I managed to slip myself in, advantage of being slim.

Inside, train's packed. Sweat smells. People don't move. A man in sleeveless shirt is beside me. Sweat in his arms is all over my white shirt! Early in the morning! Came in to work, my shirt is not as clean as I tried to wear it, and the smell, the smell left in my nose.

Stressed.

With the new efforts of the government to fix the bus traffic in EDSA, I wish change in my daily morning routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment