Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The I in Agile Team

(as viewed by a developer)
My team is currently working for two sprints, week-long sprints. We're doing scrum in our development.

The tasks were handed in breakdowns including their story points. And we were just asked to pick for ourselves. In my mind, I asked, where's the sprint planning? What are the goals of these tasks? In other words, what are the expected results of the sprint?

As far as my knowledge about what agile is, participation of the stakeholders is really important. I'm not going to enumerate the different stakeholders in a development team, but to be clear, developers are one of them.

I've known that the tasks were pre-estimated and listed in breakdowns prior to the start of the sprint by at most 4 people, thinking that we're 9 in the team (not including business clients), there should be at least 9 persons involved.

Here's my point. How can you do estimations without the consent of the task-doer? And without briefing the team of what are needed to be accomplished as whole, the requirements, except for their pieced tasks, how can you start the sprint?

Everything's an abyss for me. But I kept the thoughts to myself.

Unfortunately, at the end of the sprint, I was asked to do review of the codes by my co-developers. After which, then asked to do System Integration Testing (SIT) on our product.

This incident stressed me out, it's totally absurd. How will I review the work of my teammates, without knowing what are to be delivered? And how will I test the application without any functional requirements given? It's like being summoned in a war without knowing who your enemies are.

As I raised my concerns, I'm really hoping that this incident don't happen anymore. And I really wish that everyone may be involved in the next sprint planning.

If the same scenario is happening to your team right now, raise it up as soon as possible, don't wait for the works to be done as I've waited, unless you really want to get frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment